Tuesday, August 21, 2012

How Could I Be So Blind?

After almost 33 years of life, I have learned something new about myself. You would think someone my age would know themselves pretty well, but I guess not always. What is funny about this is that I have Asperger's, and what I discovered is that I have a classic symptom of Asperger's...Shocking, I know. I was surprised :-)

For people with Asperger's, eye contact is uncomfortable and looking at someone's face is distracting. I realized a few days ago that I rarely ever look at people's faces. Not even my children's faces. I'm not sure why I never realized this before, but it has become a problem.

As I posted before, I am seeing a guy that I really like. I am constantly worried that he doesn't like me as much as I like him. About a week ago, I took him to my friends' house to play cards. Afterwards I talked to them and asked if they thought he liked me. They both were sure that he liked me, and even their 8 year old guessed that we were a couple...An 8 year old can read social cues that I miss!!!

A couple days after the card game I started having doubts again and even attempted to end the relationship. He talked me out of it, saying that he really likes me and wishes he could spend more time with me. I asked him to be more blunt about how he feels since I don't get the social cues...he still doesn't get it :-) The next time I was with him, I was kind of watching him, trying to see what I was missing. I looked at his face, and he was looking at me! I was uncomfortable, but his facial expression made me feel like he likes me. That is when I realized I had never really looked at his face before...and then I realized I do not usually look at anyone's faces.

I'm almost 33, and I just learned something new about myself :-) I definitely plan to try looking at faces more often, even though it makes me very uncomfortable. I was missing valuable information!

No comments:

Post a Comment